Sports

Chelsea ready to move for Frenkie de Jong if Manchester United deal falls through


The summer transfer window is here, and there’s plenty of gossip swirling about who’s moving where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, comings and goings and, of course, done deals!

TOP STORY: Chelsea may move for Frenkie de Jong

Chelsea are monitoring the situation of Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong and could make a move if his transfer to Manchester United falls through, according to The Guardian.

United have long been linked with the Netherlands international and have now reportedly agreed a fee of €65m with the Blaugrana, meaning negotiations are now centred around De Jong’s personal terms. He is open to moving to Old Trafford despite previously stating that he is in no rush to leave Barcelona, who are in need of extra funds.

However, the former Ajax player reportedly wants to play in the Champions League, which is something he won’t be able to do yet at Man United.

Chelsea had watched De Jong closely before he joined Barcelona and coach Thomas Tuchel is said to be a big admirer, and while it isn’t certain a move will be made it is felt this could be more straightforward than trying to sign West Ham United‘s Declan Rice.

Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (U.S. only)
– Don’t have ESPN? Get instant access

The Blues’ priorities are in defence and attack as they have been linked with Manchester City duo Nathan Ake and Raheem Sterling, Leeds United‘s Raphinha, JuventusMatthijs de Ligt and Sevilla‘s Jules Kounde.

However, there is some uncertainty around their midfield despite the plan to use Conor Gallagher after he returned from loan at Crystal Palace, as Jorginho and N’Golo Kante could leave after Saul Niguez returned to Atletico Madrid following his unsuccessful loan.

LIVE BLOG

15.07 BST: Barcelona want to complete the signing of Bayern Munich’s Robert Lewandowski before the start of their tour of the United States, El Mundo Deportivo reports. Barca will play four games in North America as part of their preseason, the first game coming against Inter MIami on July 19.

The Catalan giants have made a €40m transfer offer to Bayern and are confident it’s strong enough to land the Poland international. Barca had initially had a transfer offer of €32m turned down.

Lewandowski’s contract with Bayern expires in June 2023. Bayern are reluctant to see Lewandowski leave this summer and have insisted they will only accept offers of €60m.

14.36 BST: And another deal is over the line! Netherlands international Luuk de Jong has returned to PSV Eindhoven, signing a deal through to 2025.

De Jong, 31, spent last season on loan at Barcelona, where he scored six goals in 21 LaLiga appearances.

The forward spent five years at PSV between 2014 and 2019 before moving to Sevilla. Reports suggest the deal is worth €4m.

14.20 BST: Shall we make it a hat trick? Everton have signed centre-back James Tarkowski after his contract expired with relegated Burnley, penning a four-year deal.

The 29-year-old becomes Frank Lampard’s first summer signing.

“It’s a massive club. I’m really looking forward to the years ahead and I’m thankful for the opportunity that I’ve been given,” Tarkowski told the club’s official website. “I’m an ambitious person, I want to achieve, I want to win things and I’ve come here to be successful.”

Tarkowski, who has two senior England caps, played 35 Premier League games for Burnley last season.

14.01 BST: And another! Manchester City have announced the signing of Everton goalkeeper Sandy MacIver on a three-year deal, marking their fifth new signing this summer.

A number of high profile players, such as Lucy Bronze and Georgia Stanway, had announced that they were leaving the club but City have gone on to sign MacIver, Deyna Castellanos, Leila Ouahabi, Laia Aleixandri and Mary Fowler.

MacIver, 23, has spent the last two-and-a-half years as the No. 1 goalkeeper at Everton and had a brief stint in City’s youth system before she went to the United States to play with Clemson Tigers.

13.40 BST: And we have another done deal!

Nottingham Forest have signed goalkeeper Dean Henderson from Manchester United on a season-long loan.

United academy graduate Henderson made three appearances in all competitions last season and was unable to displace David de Gea as first-choice goalkeeper at the Old Trafford club.

“I’m absolutely delighted to be joining such a fantastic club with an amazing set of fans and a wonderful history,” Henderson said. “I want to thank the manager and owners at Nottingham Forest for the great opportunity to play for this club in their first season back in the Premier League.”

The 25-year-old has one senior England cap to his name as he heads to the City Ground.

13.19 BST: An incredible story from Italy now, with reports that Serie A newboys Monza are targetting Paulo Dybala and Mauro Icardi.

Monza, who are owned by former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, have been promoted to the top flight for the first time in their 109-year history.

Italian football expert Gianluca Di Marzio, who also writes for Gazzetta dello Sport, says Monza are ready to make a big splash.

Former Milan owner Berlusconi is reunited at Monza with Adriano Galliani, who is acting as the club’s CEO. The report says that Galliani met with Dybala’s agent on Friday in an attempt to pull off an audacious transfer. Dybala left Juventus on Friday when his contract expired and was widely expected to sign for Inter Milan.

Discussions over Icardi, who remains in contract at Paris Saint-Germain, appear to be less advanced.

Barcelona’s Oscar Mingueza is also linked.

12.40 BST: Leeds United sporting director Victor Orta has denied reports that the club have agreed a transfer for Raphinha.

Leeds are reported to have accepted a £60m transfer offer from Chelsea, as revealed by ESPN sources, while the Brazilian winger is also a target of Tottenham and Barcelona.

Asked if Leeds United had already agreed a deal, Orta told Spanish radio station Cope: “No.”

But Raphinha, 25, wants to join Barca, who are hoping to beat Chelsea to the signing and have made a transfer offer of €50m plus add-ons — to be paid in three instalments.

Raphinha joined Leeds in 2020 from Stade Rennais and has scored 17 times and set up 12 more in 67 appearances while also making his Brazil debut. He is under contract at Leeds through to June 2024 and seems certain to leave in this window.

12.01 BST: L’Equipe reports that Paris Saint-German have triggered an extension in Neymar‘s contract, tying him to the club until the summer of 2027.

It states that the Ligue 1 champions had 10 days from July 1 to add an extra year to the deal he originally signed in 2020, and they have wasted no time in doing so.

It comes after sources had told ESPN that Neymar is considering leaving PSG this summer after finding out the club are happy for him to depart. The contract extension doesn’t change this, as it’s activated only by the club and preserves the 30-year-old’s value in the transfer market. Contact has been made with Chelsea, one of the few clubs capable of recruiting Neymar, due to new owner Todd Boehly’s desire to make a big statement in the transfer market this summer.

– Ogden: Neymar is now the superstar no club seems to want

11.20 BST: The Daily Star reports that Manchester United have now made a verbal offer to sign Christian Eriksen.

The 30-year-old is now a free agent after his Brentford contract expired, though the Bees still retain hope the midfielder could opt to sign a new deal.

However, the report says that “positive” talks have been held between United and the player’s representatives, and it seems more likely he will move on.

Eriksen joined Brentford in January to restart his career after suffering a cardiac arrest during a match at Euro 2020.

10.57 BST: Inter Milan have confirmed the signing of former Arsenal, Borussia Dortmund and Manchester United midfielder Henrikh Mkhitaryan.

Mkhitaryan, 33, was a free agent after his deal with AS Roma expired last week.

Goalkeeper Andre Onana also joined on Friday after his contract at Ajax ran out.

10.20 BST: Another confirmed deal last saw AC Milan rubber-stamp the signing of Alessandro Florenzi on a permanent basis from AS Roma.

Florenzi, 32, was on loan at Milan last season and helped the club win the Scudetto. He has signed a deal through to 2025.

The club also announced that coach Paolo Maldini and sport director Frederic Massara have both agreed improved terms.

09.41 BST: Newcastle United confirmed the signing of Lille centre-back Sven Botman on Friday evening.

Botman, 22, had been tracked by AC Milan, but the Netherlands international opted to move to St. James’ Park in a deal worth a reported £35m.

09.00 BST: Manchester United remain confident of signing Tyrell Malacia from Feyenoord despite a hold up caused by an issue surrounding the defender’s representation, sources have told ESPN’s Rob Dawson.

United have agreed a £13m fee for 22-year-old left-back, matching a bid which had been made by Lyon.

The deal hit complications after Malacia’s decision to switch agents but sources have told ESPN the problem has now been resolved and the transfer should be completed in the coming days.

PAPER GOSSIP

Tuttosport have reported that AC Milan are hoping to beat Internazionale to the signing of Paulo Dybala, who is a free agent after his Juventus contract expired. It is also stated that they are interested in Roma’s Nicolo Zaniolo and could include players in a deal to bring down the €50m demands being made, while there is also interest in Real Madrid‘s Marco Asensio, who has been told he can leave by Carlo Ancelotti.

– Chelsea winger Hakim Ziyech wants to join AC Milan, who are trying to sign the Moroccan on loan with an obligation to make the deal permanent, according to Calciomercato, who claim that Ziyech is Milan’s priority. There will need to be discussions between the Blues and Rossoneri, as the latter wants the deal to total €25m while the former want €5m more.

– In need of €40m, Atletico de Madrid are open to letting Jose Maria Gimenez leave but are demanding €60m for the Uruguay international, reports AS, who add that there is interest in the centre-back. While no current interested clubs are mentioned in the report, there is mention of Real Madrid and Manchester City looking at him in the past.

Ko Itakura has completed his medical ahead of a move from Manchester City to Borussia Monchengladbach, as reported by Sky Sports Deutschland. City are set to make just over €5m from the transfer after the Japan international had previously gone out on loan thrice.

Fiorentina are seemingly busy in the summer transfer window, as Calciomercato have reported a trio of names La Viola are aiming to bring in. Shakhtar Donetsk‘s Dodo and Leicester City‘s Dennis Praet, who spent last season on loan with Torino, were joined by Real Madrid’s Luka Jovic in the report. The first is said to be getting closer.





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

close