The summer transfer window is here, and there’s plenty of gossip swirling about who’s moving where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, comings and goings and, of course, done deals!
TOP STORY: Barca, Arsenal circling Raphinha
The journalist says that Barcelona have agreed personal terms with the Brazil international but so far haven’t agreed on a transfer fee with Leeds. He adds that Arsenal are in direct negotiations with Leeds having held an interest in the 25-year-old since March.
Had the Yorkshire club been relegated from the Premier League, they would have been in a weak position to command a large fee, but are now asking for up to £75 million after beating Brentford on the final day to finish above Burnley and avoid the drop.
Raphinha played an integral role in Leeds’ Premier League survival, providing 11 goals and three assists from 35 league appearances across the campaign.
22.00 BST: Tuttosport reports that once Internazionale finalise the return of Chelsea striker Romelu Lukaku, their attention will turn to completing a deal for Torino defender Bremer. They will offer him a top salary as well as an opportunity to play for silverware, contributing factors for the 25-year-old, with another being that he wants to remain in Italy so he can play for the Azzurri if Brazil continue leaving him out of their plans.
21.27 BST: Monza have confirmed the signing of 34-year-old centre-back Andrea Ranocchia from on a free transfer from Inter Milan, the Italian clubs announced on Tuesday. The former Italy international has signed a contract that will keep him with the Serie A newcomers until June 2024 after making a total of 223 appearances for Inter.
— AC Monza (@ACMonza) June 21, 2022
20.54 BST: Nottingham Forest manager Steve Cooper has made Tottenham Hotspur centre-back Joe Rodon and Wolverhampton Wanderers midfielder Morgan Gibbs-White his priorities this transfer window, reports the Mail, having worked with them at Swansea City and England U17s, respectively. Forest are also hoping to bring in Union Berlin’s Taiwo Awoniyi for a transfer fee of £17.5m as well as holding an interest in Ajax Amsterdam left-back Nicolas Tagliafico and Mainz centre-back Moussa Niakhate.
20.37 BST: Axel Witsel will be Atletico Madrid‘s first summer signing, sources have confirmed to ESPN. The midfielder, 33, will join on a free transfer after leaving Borussia Dortmund, signing a one-year contract.
Witsel will fill the gap in the Atletico squad left by Hector Herrera, who is joining Houston Dynamo in MLS. Sources said he is viewed by the club as offering “experience” and being able to deliver “immediate performance.”
The Belgium international will compete with Geoffrey Kondogbia for the defensive midfield spot in the Atletico starting XI. Having secured his signing, the club will now focus on their search for a first-choice right-back, with doubts over current options Daniel Wass and Sime Vrsaljko.
20.21 BST: Fenerbahce are hoping to sign Marcelo after the left-back’s 16-year stay with Real Madrid came to an end, according to AS. There has been interest from clubs in the Middle East, but the Brazilian wants to stay in Europe amid further interest from Marseille and Real Valladolid.
19.48 BST: Manchester United are struggling to find clubs interested in signing Anthony Martial and Eric Bailly, according to the Sun. Having initially signed the forward and centre-back for £38.5m and £30m, respectively, the Red Devils are now willing to accept transfer fees of £20m and £8.5m. The former spent time on loan with Sevilla last term but disappointed, while Newcastle United gave a lukewarm response when offered the chance to sign the latter.
19.15 BST: Atlanta United have signed Tigres defender Juan Jose Purata on loan for the remainder of the 2022 season, with the option to extend it for another year and an option to make it permanent, the MLS club announced on Tuesday. This is the 24-year-old centre-back’s first-ever move away from Tigres since joining their academy in 2015.
#ATLUTD signs Mexican defender Juan José Purata on loan
— Atlanta United FC (@ATLUTD) June 21, 2022
18.42 BST: Eintracht Frankfurt aren’t stopping after signing Mario Gotze, as they have reached a verbal agreement with Lucas Alario ahead of a possible transfer from Bayer Leverkusen, reports Sky Sport Germany. The two clubs now need to agree a transfer fee, with Leverkusen demanding €6.5m for the 29-year-old striker.
18.25 BST: Arsenal have completed the signing of Fabio Vieira from FC Porto, the Premier League club confirmed on Tuesday. The Gunners announced that the attacking midfielder has signed a long-term deal and will wear the No. 21 shirt. Read the full story.
Bem-vindo, Fabio ❤️
— Arsenal (@Arsenal) June 21, 2022
18.09 BST: Eintracht Frankfurt have completed the signing of Mario Gotze from PSV Eindhoven, the Bundesliga club announced on Tuesday. The attacking midfielder has signed a contract that will keep him with the Europa League winners until 2025, having already recorded 57 goals and 61 assists in 230 Bundesliga appearances across his career.
— Europa League Winners 2022 (@eintracht_eng) June 21, 2022
17.36 BST: AS Roma are ready to increase their offer for Sassuolo midfielder Davide Frattesi, according to Calciomercato, and it would be worth €20m, including a transfer fee and Felix Afena-Gyan and Filippo Tripi.
They could offload Roger Ibanez due to his impressive Europa Conference League performances attracting interest from the Premier League, with that departure potentially paving the way for Feyenoord’s Marcos Senesi to join. Ibanez could also be used as part of a swap to bring in Atletico Madrid’s Rodrigo De Paul or Valencia’s Goncalo Guedes. Jordan Veretout and Nicolo Zaniolo are two other players potentially set to depart.
17.03 BST: With Sven Botman expected to leave Lille this summer, Foot Mercato reports that the Ligue 1 side have already identified Trabzonspor’s Ahmetcan Kaplan as the player they want to bring in to replace the centre-back and are readying a €5m offer for the 19-year-old.
16.30 BST: Arsenal are spending €40m to sign 22-year-old midfielder Fabio Vieira from FC Porto.
Julien Laurens profiles Arsenal’s first summer signing, midfielder Fabio Vieira from Porto.
15.38 BST: Columbus Crew have signed Watford forward Cucho Hernandez for a club-record fee..
Hernandez, 23, scored five goals and provided three assists last season as the club were relegated from the Premier League.
He joins for a reported $11m — the seventh-most expensive signing ever in MLS — and the Colombian has signed on a three-year deal
“Signing a top-level player at the striker position was our main priority this transfer window and we are ecstatic to sign an elite difference-maker like Cucho,” said Columbus Crew Head Coach Caleb Porter. “Despite being just 23 years of age, he has shown a nose for goal against top level European opposition, and we firmly believe that he will flourish in our league. We are excited to get to work with Cucho and know the quality he brings to our squad will be a massive lift for our season.”
15.26 BST: Newcastle have been looking for a new No. 1 goalkeeper and are closing in on the signing of Burnley’s Nick Pope, says The Telegraph.
Pope, 30, was relegated with Burnley at the end of the season but the England international wants to stay in the Premier League.
The deal would reportedly cost around £10m, with Pope competing with Martin Dubravka for the No. 1 jersey.
Newcastle goalkeepers Freddie Woodman and Karl Darlow are set to look for new clubs as a result.
14.40 BST: Former Man United, City, West Ham, Juventus and Boca Juniors striker Carlos Tevez has a new job.
📝😄 ¡Carlos Tévez es el DT de #RosarioCentral!
El Apache se convirtió en el nuevo entrenador auriazul, tras firmar contrato con el Club por 12 meses. Carlos “el Chapa” Retegui, será integrante de su cuerpo técnico.#VamosCanalla 💪🏼🇺🇦 pic.twitter.com/5APtaJjtiX
— Rosario Central (@RosarioCentral) June 21, 2022
14.36 BST: Newly-promoted Girona are considering signing Barcelona defender Samuel Umtiti on loan for the 2022-23 campaign.
Umtiti, 28, is under contract with Barca through June 2025 but could leave as the club are keen to lighten their wage bill and free up funds.
The Frenchman only featured once for Barca this past season due to knee injuries and has been on the transfer list in recent windows.
Girona returned to LaLiga after three years with a 3-1 win over Tenerife on Sunday and are hoping to bring in some new arrivals.
“We don’t rule it out,” Pere Guardiola, Girona FC’s chairman of the board, said of the potential arrival of Umtiti.
14.17 BST: Wolverhampton are prepared to trigger Enzo Fernandez‘s €20m release clause, ESPN Argentina reports.
Fernandez, 21, is under contract with River through June 2025, and has scored nine goals and set up six more in 24 appearances so far for the Buenos Aires-based club.
Mathew Hobbs, Wolves’ chief scout and head of player recruitment, has reportedly arrived in Buenos Aires to begin talks with River Plate to sign the Argentine midfielder.
Wolves want Fernandez to join the club this summer, while the player’s wish is to remain until the end of the year in order to complete the Copa Libertadores tournament with River.
13.55 BST: Borussia Dortmund are set to sign striker Sebastian Haller from Ajax in a deal worth around €36m, sources have told ESPN.
The 27-year-old joins following the departure of Erling Haaland to Manchester City in a €60m move earlier this month.
Haller enjoyed a prolific 18-month spell at Ajax since arriving in January 2021 following a disappointing period at West Ham United.
13.46 BST: Toni Kroos doesn’t want renew his Real Madrid contract — which is due to expire in 2023 — this summer, Cadena SER reports, with the midfielder preferring to see how he performs next season before making a decision on his future.
Kroos, 32, was a regular as Madrid won LaLiga and the Champions League last season, starting 25 league games and every one of their European knockout matches as they lifted their 14th European Cup.
However his place in the team came under increasing pressure from youngster Eduardo Camavinga as the season went on, and Madrid have already added Aurelien Tchouameni to their midfield roster for €80m this summer.
According to the radio station, Kroos wants to see how he does next year and if he can continue to deliver at the highest level, rather than extending his deal now and feeling like a burden for the club.
13.00 BST: Liverpool will get €41m from Bayern Munich to sign Sadio Mane, but will they regret it?
Gab and Juls discuss Sadio Mane’s proposed move from Liverpool to Bayern Munich.
12.18 BST: Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola says he believes that Bernardo Silva will remain at the club but did not rule out a move to Barcelona for the attacking midfielder.
Silva was linked with a move away from the Etihad last summer but stayed and played a key role in them retaining the Premier League title.
Guardiola was in Barcelona on Monday to publicise an upcoming friendly against his former club, when Portugal international Silva was mentioned.
“Right now I think Bernardo will continue with us,” Guardiola said. “Our goal, as a club, is for him to stay with us, but I have always said I don’t want players that don’t want to be with us. But Bernardo is important and I think he will stay. It’s true he could be with Barca — I don’t know what will happen.”
11.41 BST: Barcelona have blamed La Liga’s strict financial rules for their tough negotiating stance on Frenkie de Jong during transfer talks with Manchester United, sources have told ESPN’s Rob Dawson.
United are keen to land De Jong this summer while Barcelona want to let the midfielder leave to raise money to fund their own transfer business ahead of next season. Old Trafford bosses are demanding that the size of the fee reflects the fact Barcelona want to offload the player but sources have told ESPN that the Spanish giants have insisted their hands are tied by La Liga. They are already subject to financial restrictions after breaching their salary cap and as such can only reinvest a third of what they make on transfers or save in wages back into the playing squad.
Barcelona, according to sources familiar with the negotiations, are using the issue to drive up the offer past the £73 million they paid Ajax for De Jong in 2019. United, however, would prefer to spend a base fee of between £50m-£60m and are conscious that agreeing to a significantly higher amount would hamper efforts to spend on other areas of the squad. Sources have told ESPN that the club are working to a net spend budget of between £100m-£150m.
11.09 BST: Marco Asensio and Dani Ceballos are yet to receive any offer of a new deal from Real Madrid, Marca reports, with it looking increasingly likely that both will depart the Bernabeu during this transfer window.
Both players contributed to Madrid’s successes last season — Asensio scoring a career-best tally of 10 league goals, and Ceballos playing a part off the bench in the second half of the campaign — but would like to be regular starters to increase their chances of making the Spain squad for the World Cup.
According to Marca, the club are willing to listen to offers for both, while the players’ agents — Asensio is now represented by Jorge Mendes — assess their options in the market.
10.36 BST: Liverpool forward Sadio Mane is set to undergo his medical at Bayern Munich on Tuesday, according to Sky.
Sources told ESPN last week that Bayern had reached an agreement to sign the Senegal international and end his six-year spell at Anfield.
Mane’s future at Liverpool had been in serious doubt since forward Darwin Nunez joined the Premier League side from Benfica in a club-record deal worth up to €100m.
A person familiar with the situation said on Friday that Liverpool have agreed a fee with the Bundesliga champions in a total package worth €41m.
10.01 BST: Sporting CP executives will travel to Spain to open talks with Barcelona to sign Portuguese winger Francisco Trincao on loan, Record reports.
Trincao, 22, made 30 appearances across all competitions while on a season-long loan at Wolverhampton Wanderers from Barca, but the Premier League club did not activate the €30m option for him.
Sporting want to sign Trincao on loan and include an option for a permanent move in the deal. Barca, meanwhile, prefer that the former Braga star leaves on a permanent transfer this summer. Trincao is reportedly willing to reduce his wages to facilitate his move to Sporting.
Meanwhile, Japan international Hidemasa Morita is on the verge of joining Sporting Lisbon in a €3.8m transfer from Portuguese club Santa Clara.
According to Record, the 27-year-old arrived in Lisbon on Monday evening and is set to sign a four-year contract with Sporting.
The former Kawasaki Frontale defensive midfielder joined Santa Clara in January 2021 and made 38 appearances across all competitions for the club based in the Azores Islands.
Morita is Sporting’s third reinforcement this summer following the arrivals of Ghana forward Abdul Fatawu and Dutch centre-back Jeremiah St. Juste.
09.18 BST: Diego Godin is set to join Argentinian club Velez Sarsfield as a free agent after leaving Brazilian side Atletico Mineiro.
The Uruguay centre-back, who is expected to retire from international duty after the 2022 World Cup, terminated his contract with Mineiro by mutual consent.
The former Atletico Madrid star is set to travel to Buenos Aires in the coming days to sign a contract with Velez.
Godin, 36, wrote in an Instagram post: “I leave with the satisfaction of having always given my best at all times, with a lot of professionalism, and having respected all those people that I will never forget.”
08.42 BST: Antonio Rudiger said it was “Real [Madrid] or nothing” when he decided to leave Chelsea for a new challenge this summer, despite interest from LaLiga rivals Barcelona.
Rudiger, 29, was presented at Madrid’s training ground on Monday by president Florentino Perez, signing a four-year contract at the club before posing with his new No. 22 shirt and taking questions from the media.
ESPN reported in March that Rudiger’s agent and stepbrother Sahr Senesie had met with Barca executives to discuss a possible transfer, before the player agreed a deal with Madrid a month later.
“Yes, there was interest from Barcelona,” Rudiger said in a news conference on Monday. “But I told my brother it was Real or nothing.”
Sterling has entered the final year of his contract at Manchester City and is keeping his options open ahead of making a decision about his next move. Sources have told ESPN that Chelsea have emerged as serious contenders to sign the 27-year-old, who has already been impressed by Boehly’s ambition after his takeover at Stamford Bridge.
City would prefer to receive a fee for Sterling this summer rather than allowing him to leave for free in 12 months and value the former Liverpool winger at between £50-60 million. Sterling, who is keen to test himself in another of Europe’s top five leagues, is also attracting interest from Bayern Munich and Real Madrid.
According to sources, Sterling is acutely aware that his next contract will be the most important of his career, and his reluctance to sign a new deal at the Etihad Stadium has centred on doubts about whether he is central to Pep Guardiola’s plans for the future.
Gab and Juls debate how Thomas Tuchel would utilise Raheem Sterling if he joins Chelsea from Man City.
PAPER GOSSIP (by Danny Lewis)
– Sky Sports Deutschland have reported that Bayern Munich sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic flew to Mallorca to persuade Robert Lewandowski to stay at the club, though it seems this has done little to change the Poland international’s mind. The striker still wants to leave Bayern, with Barcelona ready to make an improvement on their previous offer of €32m.
– Fabrizio Romano has dismissed reports that Liverpool are working on a deal to bring Georginio Wijnaldum back from PSG. He insists that the Reds’ priority is to extend Naby Keita‘s contract instead, with talks set to take place soon.
– Foot Mercato have offered an insight into new sporting director Lucas Campos’ vision for Paris Saint-Germain, starting with Christophe Galtier coming in as manager. He also wants to bring in Internazionale‘s Milan Skriniar, Lille‘s Renato Sanches, Bayern Munich’s Lewandowski and Sassuolo‘s Gianluca Scamacca. However, Mauro Icardi, Julian Draxler, Thilo Kehrer, Layvin Kurzawa, Ander Herrera, Danilo Pereira and Wijnaldum have all been deemed “the undesirables,” while Neymar could also depart.
– Manchester United have made an initial contact with Christian Eriksen ahead of a possible move, according to Sky Sports, with the Dane’s Brentford contract coming to an end. Erik ten Hag likes the midfielder, and it will ultimately be Eriksen’s decision as to whether he moves to Old Trafford.
– Borussia Dortmund are making an offer to Ajax Amsterdam for Ivory Coast international Sebastien Haller, as reported by Sky Sports Deutschland, who add that it could be worth €35m with add-ons taken into account. He is their first choice to replace Erling Haaland after the Norwegian’s €60m move to Manchester City, though they could move for Stuttgart‘s Sasa Kalajdzic and Bayer Leverkusen‘s Lucas Alario if Ajax can’t be tempted to let him go.
– West Ham United are set to make Chelsea an offer in the region of £30m for Armando Broja, who impressed on loan with Southampton last season, according to Sky Sports. The Hammers have identified the Albania international as their top striker target for this summer and intend on making a move despite doubts over the future of Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia.